Brief summary of Juan Bautista Mihura and “Estancia San Ambrosio”.
Our great grand father, Juan Bautista Mihura was born in Navarra Province, Basque Country, Spain, in the Caserío Mihura, located between Urdax and Zugarramurdi towns, in August 1820.
In 1840, Juan Bautista traveled to Argentina and settled in Gualeguay, Entre Ríos Province. Soon after, together with other Basques such as the Parachu, Elizalde, Marco and Laurencena families, they developed the first meat salting house in Puerto Ruiz, on the shores of the Gualeguay River. This venture was truly successful and allowed them, throughout the years, to develop other important activities, mainly in the cattle breeding sector, in the Departments of Victoria, Nogoya and Gualeguay.
Hence, he founded 16 agricultural and livestock farms, built the first Flour Mill in the province, in Nogoya City, and developed the first rice endeavor with a drying and packaging plant for consumption at Estancia El Rincón, in the Gualeguay Department.
The determination and utter leadership skills he showed in all of his actions conveyed to his prolific family the values of work, honesty and respect for co-citizens.
Estancia San Ambrosio
This agricultural and livestock establishment has belonged to the Mihura Family since 1906, when Juan Bautista Mihura purchased it from the Australian Mercantil company, a company that belonged to the British Crown and was in charge of the railway network in Entre Ríos Province.
Our grandfather, Emilio Mihura, inherited it as part of the subdivision of Estancia Las Colas, and, in 1917, requested German park designer Guillermo Bötrich to design the park where San Ambrosio’s humble homestead was originally located, an old ranch that dated back to 1800. In 1920, with the design of the famous architect Alejandro Christophersen, he had this Colonial Spanish style homestead built.
Through the years, and with the advent of technology, the cattle livestock exploitation of Durhand breed first, and Shorthon and Hereford breeds later, and of Ronney Marsh sheep, sought to intensify its production in agriculture and dairy.
The family has a long relationship with politics: there have been several Governors, Senators, and Congressmen among its members. Emilio was appointed Minister of Agriculture under President Marcelo T. de Alvear Administration, thus consolidating a close friendship between both families. Alvear, together with his wife Regina Paccini, were frequent visitors at San Ambrosio, testimony of this is the Blue Cedar they planted in 1939.
Many well-known politicians have stayed at San Ambrosio. We could name Don Ricardo Balbín, Arturo Frondizi, Miguel Zavala Ortíz, Carlos H. Perette, Alberto Garona, among many others as examples of more contemporary politicians. It is said that it was in these gatherings that the split of the Radical Party took place; and many years later the appointment of Dr. Humberto Illia as Presidential candidate. Among its furniture is the desk where the “Tratado del Cuadrilátero” was signed between Buenos Aires, Corrientes, Santa Fe and Entre Ríos provinces, on January 12th and 15th 1822, which aimed at installing peace and mutual defense in their borders against Spain and Portugal menace.
We warmly welcome our visitors in the hope they enjoy their stay as well as this proverbial nature God has blessed us with.